Year 2 Days 286 to 288 Oysters, Ice Cream and Houses


This blog was written a number of days ago, before we went sailing with Don and Debbie.  While sailing, we anchored at a remote island in the San Juans where we did not have good Interest, so I was not able to post this blog.  Now that we are back on land and have Internet, I can post this belated blog.  I still need to write a blog describing our wonderful three days out sailing but it may be another day or so before it is completed.


We are in the relax mode, one of our favorite modes of operations. There are no plans of action, no pressing schedules, no pressure to do anything. R-e-l-a-x-i-n-g…. ahhhhhhh.

During this respite period, Don and Debbie leisurely introduced us to their area. Blaine is just a little hole-in-the-wall town, supporting a spread-out community of about 8,000 people. As we drove first up and then down the main street, I saw more Canadian cars then local cars. The town is nestled right up to the Canadian border with the off ramp from the border crossing that enters the town.

One of the big reasons there are so many Canadians here is that they come into town to pick up their mail. Apparently, post box service is a big business here. I understand that the Canadians order stuff from the Internet and then come into town to pick up their stuff and then bring it into Canada. It appears that this is a lot cheaper than having it shipped into Canada. Go figure.

Don and Deb shared with us that there are a number of very good restaurants in town along with an ice cream diary store and not much else. We observed that they were right.

One of the highlights to our trip into town was a stop at Drayton Bay Oyster Company. Housed in an old narrow brick building, overlooking the harbor, they grow, harvest, shuck and serve oysters. Drayton Harbor Oyster CompanyOwned and operated by a young 30-something couple, whenever they run low of fresh oysters, they just hop in their little boat to get some more. They have a chalkboard on the wall that shows you how far away the oysters came from (today it was only ¼ of a mile away) and the time it took them to go from picking the oysters to the oyster bar (13 minutes). It just does not get any fresher than that!

I ordered their oyster stew, which was delicious, and complimented the stew with a half dozen grilled oysters. I slurped those puppies down so easily and sopped up the juice with pieces of warm sourdough bread. Yum!

Mary Margaret and Debbie opted to go next door to sample their sandwiches and hot dogs. Called “Just A Bite”, it shares the old, narrow building with the oyster bar. Mary Margaret and Debbie also enjoyed their lunch.

Afterwards, we all got together and walked over to the ice cream diary store and ordered double scoops of ice cream. Ooooooooh, so rich, creamy and good.Edaleen Dairy

With smiles on our faces, we returned to the car and Don and Debbie drove us around, offering us a tour of the area. If you have ever been to the Pacific Northwest and especially the Puget Sound, you can imagine the spectacular views we were presented. The skies were sunny and bright, not a cloud in sight. The water was like glass, since there was no wind. For the next 10 days or so, we will be sitting in a North Pacific high-pressure cell which is keeping the wet and cold weather up in northern Canada. How lucky are we!

The many evergreen-covered islands that make up part of the San Juan de Fuca Island group were sitting blissfully in the distance, with the dark blue water of the Sound between us and them. So remarkably scenic! As we turned from facing west, to facing east, we were greeted with snow-covered Mount Baker dominating the view. It was all very breathtaking.

For the last two days, with the delicious oysters and ice cream as just a memory, Mary Margaret and I have spent our time looking at houses that were on the market. We have been using a number of internet-based websites to tour various houses on the market. Now, with the help of a local real estate agent, we were able to personally inspect those houses which were of interest of us.

We were able to find a couple of houses that we are interested in and may end up putting in a bid. We will be making a decision before we leave the area in 10 days.

Tomorrow, Don and Debbie will be taking us boating on their 42-foot cruising trawler. This will be the first-time cruising since we sold good old Leu Cat last year. We are very excited.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: